[riot-devel] Recommendations for Porting RIOT (Ludwig Ortmann)

Ludwig Ortmann ludwig.ortmann at fu-berlin.de
Wed Apr 24 18:21:26 CEST 2013

On 04/24/2013 02:04 PM, tkennouc at inria.fr wrote:
>> Hi Takai,
>>
>> I was already discussing RIOT ns-3 porting with Daniel Camara from
>> INRIA. He proposed a Google Summer of Code project (1) for this task
>> which I am going to apply for.
>> At the moment I am working on porting RIOT as a UNIX process (the
>> "native" cpu/board).
>>
>> If you still want to know technical details, please say so.
>>
>> Cheers, Ludwig
> Hi,
> Actually I am applying for the same gsoc project. And yes, I'm looking for the
> technical details.

A porting guide is in the makes but not available as of now.

The architecture is relatively clear, though. There is a well defined
set of functions one needs to implement.
You could just look through the native port as it is pretty much bare
bones and self contained at the moment. In fact I'd start with this as a
base for the ns-3 port.

One major problem is delaying this project though:
RIOT has a preemptive scheduler. As of now I haven't been able to find a
way to realize this within a UNIX process. I thought I had with the help
of ucontexts and signal handlers, but it appears that switching back to
interrupted contexts is just not (reliably) possible.
I'm currently looking for a different solution, but it could turn out
that it's plainly impossible.

As for the ns-3 integration, I guess you are in a better position to
judge that since you already did that for contiki.
 From what I discussed with Daniel I'd say it should be possible in a
fashion similar to the contiki ns3 port if the scheduler issue is resolved.
Again, just look at the interfaces, it's all there.

Cheers, Ludwig