[riot-devel] Future Hardware Platforms

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Tue Aug 6 00:35:04 CEST 2013

Hi!

> I have done a short list of points to talk about:
> https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/FutureHardwarePlatforms
>
> You should see this page as a starting point for a discussion! I'm
> sure I have missed some major points, so if you want to add/remove
> some requirements or if you know the best platform for the future of
> RIOT, tell us on this list (and I will add your points to the wiki)!
I would think that "some sort of sensors to play with" is no must-have as long
as the platform offers accessible I/O-ports.
Moreover, "at least as much ram/rom as the msba2" seems like a quite strong
requirement. I guess that this would limit the choice mostly to ARM-A8/9
powered devices.

I would say that a "energy measurement feature" is more a nice to have, while
a debugging interface (e.g., JTAG) would be a "must have" in my opinion.

Postscapes provides a nice list of typical IoT platforms:
http://postscapes.com/internet-of-things-hardware

The Wi-Go Module looks interesting, but is probably too expensive.

Spark Core [1] provides an ARM Cortex-M3 and a 802.11 transceiver, but no
sensors. Price: 39$ + 20$

DigiX [2] provides similar hardware for 59$.

[1] http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparkdevices/spark-core-wi-fi-for-everything-arduino-compatible
[2] http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digistump/digix-the-ultimate-arduino-compatible-board-with-w
--
dprintk("kick_rx: maybe kicking\n");