[riot-devel] Future Hardware Platforms

Oleg Hahm oleg at riot-os.org
Tue Aug 6 11:41:41 CEST 2013

Hi Christian,

> >https://shop.dresden-elektronik.de/radio-modules/minimodul-sam3-23t02-2.html
>
> I see that all platforms currently discussed are "arm cortex
> m3"-based, and their primary wireless interface is ieee802.11 based.
the Atmel SAM3S features an at86rf231 which is designed for 802.15.4 - and
already (partly) supported by RIOT. [1]

> Does the IOT community moves to good old wifi? That would completely
> change the networking problems...
I think IoT comprises both technologies: 802.15.4 and 802.11 (and probably
many more link layers, such as 802.3 or PLC). In my opinion, this is one main
difference to classical WSNs: standardized network protocols ranging from
lossy, low-power links to rather powerful ones.

> ps: I think the raspberry pi isn't really what we want: too powerful
> cpu, no wireless, a lot of interfaces we don't need...hdmi (video
> support)
Well, I think the Raspberry wouldn't fit as a reference platform, but could be
considered as the upper end for the range of IoT devices. Hence, we're
targeting to support this platform with RIOT - maybe w/o features like HDMI...

[1] https://github.com/AlaeddineWeslati/RIOT/tree/agilefox/drivers/at86rf231
--
panic("Foooooooood fight!");
        linux-2.2.16/drivers/scsi/aha1542.c