[riot-devel] Development procedures

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Tue Aug 6 12:12:41 CEST 2013

Hi everybody,

after some discussion with several people contributing to RIOT, we came up
with the following rules for the development procedure:

1. Check if your code follows the coding conventions
   (https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Coding-conventions). If the code
   does not comply these style rules, your code will not be merged.

2. Create a new branch in your own fork for every new feature or fix.
   Then create the pull request from this branch, once you completed your
   task (feature or fix). Every commit in this branch will be added to the
   pull request.

3. Master branch will be our "stable branch". Main reason is that new users
   will probably just checkout the Github master. This should always be in a
   working state. The RIOT maintainers will create release tags based on this
   branch, whenever a milestone is completed.

4. There'll be a "devel" branch including the newest features. This should
   *always compile* as well.

5. New features and fixes will always be submitted as pull requests. A pull
   request will be merged if the RIOT maintainers acknowledge the request.
   Before it will get merged, the pull request has to stay open long enough
   to discuss possible issues, but no longer than 30 days. The more extensive
   the changes in the pull request, the more time should be given for
   discussion.

6. Comments on a pull request should be added to the request itself, and
   *not* to the commit.

7. Only RIOT maintainers have commit rights to the main RIOT repository.
   However, even they have to create pull requests to submit their changes. A
   RIOT contributor cannot acknowledge his own pull request. All current RIOT
   maintainers are listed in the wiki.

8. Keep commits to the point, e.g., don't add whitespace/typo fixes to other
   code changes. If changes are layered, layer the patches.

9. Describe the technical detail of the change(s) as specific as possible.

/* Sun, you just can't beat me, you just can't.  Stop trying,
 * give up.  I'm serious, I am going to kick the living shit
 * out of you, game over, lights out.
 */
         linux-2.6.6/arch/sparc/lib/checksum.S