[riot-devel] Distributed Messaging

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Tue Aug 13 17:47:21 CEST 2013

On Aug 13, 2013, at 17:24, Kaspar Schleiser <kaspar at schleiser.de> wrote:

>> One immediate challenge (for the simple proxy thread/process without
>> broadcasting) though: Where does TID_of_target_process come from?
> Good question. We might need some tid agnostic service publishing on the same layer that accepts the request from the proxy instance of the initiating node. Couldn't that be a service waiting on a specified TPC port?

It appears to be a rite of passage for a research operating system to develop a strange, non-functional and non-interoperating networking stack at some point in its life.  In entertainment, that would be called "jumping the shark" (quid google).

Don't do that.

Proxying IPC to a remote system may be a useful tool, but there are a number of dangers:

-- don't put things in the wrong layer (should the IPC layer be concerned with network addresses?  Application names?);
-- make sure you have a place to handle the leakiness of the abstraction (distributed systems are different from local access);
-- don't change everything in the abstraction you are "extending" (length, pointers, ...);
-- don't move to the wrong focus (is RIOT about distributed computing?).

Grüße, Carsten