[riot-devel] [projects] Add boards repository as submodule (#24)

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Sat Aug 17 01:10:33 CEST 2013

Dear rioters,

this is on a recent pull request for the projects repository:

> -- Commit Summary --
>
>   * Add boards as submodule
>   * Update Makefiles for boards submodule

I have the feeling that this topic needs some clarification on my intentions
and maybe some discussion.

The reasons why we decided to split RIOT in three (not counting the thirdparty
repositories, which exist due to license issues) repositories are the
following ones:
* the kernel itself, hardware independent userspace libraries, support for
  various microcontrollers, transceivers, and sensor devices goes into the
  main RIOT repository (RIOT-OS/RIOT)
* code that is purely platform dependent (configuring the connections between
  the different chips) goes into the boards repository (RIOT-OS/RIOT)
* the projects repository (RIOT-OS/projects) contains simple example and
  testing applications

A developer who wants to implement his own application for RIOT on his own
platform, possibly only needs to checkout the RIOT repository, creates his own
board configuration, and configure the Makefile variables accordingly. There's
no need for him to download more than one repository.

However, it does not make sense to checkout the projects repository *without*
RIOT - but maybe the developer still wants/needs to write its own board
configuration code. That is the reason, why projects does not yet have boards
as a submodule.

Having said this, I know that git submodules have some drawbacks and many
people don't like them. Therefore, I'm not sure if having RIOT as a submodule
in projects is the best solution.

I hope things are a bit clearer now.

If you don't see why, please stay the fuck away from my code.
        Rusty, in linux-2.6.6/Documentation/DocBook/kernel-locking.tmpl