[riot-devel] [projects] Add boards repository as submodule (#24)

Martin Lenders authmillenon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 16:59:24 CEST 2013

Hi rioters,

2013/8/17 Oleg Hahm <oliver.hahm at inria.fr>:
> Dear rioters,
>
> this is on a recent pull request for the projects repository:
>
>> -- Commit Summary --
>>
>>   * Add boards as submodule
>>   * Update Makefiles for boards submodule
>
> I have the feeling that this topic needs some clarification on my intentions
> and maybe some discussion.
>
> […]
>
> However, it does not make sense to checkout the projects repository *without*
> RIOT - but maybe the developer still wants/needs to write its own board
> configuration code. That is the reason, why projects does not yet have boards
> as a submodule.

That clarified it for me and I share your opinion. Beforehand I did
not understand, why boards was not included into projects.

> Having said this, I know that git submodules have some drawbacks and many
> people don't like them. Therefore, I'm not sure if having RIOT as a submodule
> in projects is the best solution.

An alternative provided by git (but not in the main development line)
is git-subtree [1], that allows to include commits of another repo
into your repository, changing the commit's tree into a subtree of
your own repository, but those commits are treated as a merged branch,
which can lead to some reordering problems when you want to rebase.

> I hope things are a bit clearer now.

As I said: Yes :D

> Cheers,
> Oleg