[riot-devel] Implementation of the hardware timers / case of MSP430

ROUSSEL Kévin Kevin.Roussel at inria.fr
Wed Aug 21 10:14:42 CEST 2013

Hello,

I was wondering how much hwtimers were used by the RIOT OS core for its
internal needs.

As I am working on implementations of MAC/RDC protocols, I will probably
need to use some hardware timers (for timing/synchronisation purposes).
I was wondering whether there would be enough hwtimer instances available...

In that sense, I see that in the case of the MSP430F16x MCU (that is
used in TelosB motes), the hwtimer module is implemented using the
TimerA module, which offers 3 compare registers ("TimerA3").
However, these MCUs also offer a "TimerB7" module (with a more comfy
amount of 7 compare registers). Is there a reason not to use this TimerB?

Regards,
--

      Kévin Roussel
      Doctorant, projet LAR