[riot-devel] Implementation of the hardware timers / case of MSP430

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Wed Aug 21 11:55:31 CEST 2013

Hi Kévin,

> I was wondering how much hwtimers were used by the RIOT OS core for
> its internal needs.
since RIOT's scheduler is tickless, the kernel itself does not require any
hwtimers.

> As I am working on implementations of MAC/RDC protocols, I will
> probably need to use some hardware timers (for
> timing/synchronisation purposes). I was wondering whether there
> would be enough hwtimer instances available...
Several drivers (e.g., for the SHT11 or the SD card) are using hwtimers, but
there should be usually enough timers left.

> In that sense, I see that in the case of the MSP430F16x MCU (that is
> used in TelosB motes), the hwtimer module is implemented using the
> TimerA module, which offers 3 compare registers ("TimerA3").
> However, these MCUs also offer a "TimerB7" module (with a more comfy
> amount of 7 compare registers). Is there a reason not to use this
> TimerB?
I'm not aware of any reason not to use the TimerB module, it's just not
implemented yet, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

printk(KERN_ERR "ide: huh? queue was plugged!\n");
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/ide/ide-io.c: