[riot-devel] Hardware Documentation

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 5 14:13:30 CET 2013

Hello Finn,

On 05.12.2013 12:12, Finn Wilke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5 Dec 2013 at 11:58:13, Oleg Hahm (oliver.hahm at inria.fr
> <mailto://oliver.hahm@inria.fr>) wrote:
>
>> I guess there are even more inconsistencies in board and cpu. Hauke
>> was so
>> kind to create an overview about the current state of board and cpu
>> headers
>> and the according implementations. He'll probably propose a new
>> version of the
>> hardware interface that is more consistent and easier to understand.
As a first step, I created the attached overview of interfaces defined
in the kernel and the location of their implementation. It turned out
however, that the sketched interfaces are not quite complete, some
implicit calls between core and cpu (e.g. thread_yield()) are missing.
Also some 'backwards interfaces' are not in that list, these concern
some defines made by cpu or board and are used in the core.

I am currently working on cleaning up the interfaces and also writing on
a guideline for how to port riot to a new platform. I have already split
the kernels interfaces into two groups, one containing all the stuff
that is used internally or by driver and user code and one group that
collects all interfaces that need to be implemented for each target cpu.
The code is unfortunately not yet in a stage that allows to create a
pull request, but I hope I will present it some point next week for
review...

> Sorry to steal the thread but where exactly can I find this
> documentation? I must have missed it. I'm currently trying to get a
> port running for the Kinetis k20 family of Cortex M processors and
> this kind of documentation would be very useful.

Strongly agree on this one (thats why I started to clean up the
interfaces in the first part...)!

> Thanks,
>
> Finn

Cheers,