[riot-devel] Newcomer questions on RIOT

ROUSSEL Kévin Kevin.Roussel at inria.fr
Thu Jul 25 15:24:18 CEST 2013

Hello to all RIOT developers, from a newcomer!

I am currently working as a PhD student, at the MADYNES team from INRIA
Nancy/LORIA, in the field of IoT devices' network stack.

We were recently told about the RIOT OS project by one of our
researchers (Thomas Silverston); I thus visited the project's website,
and downloaded the source code from the GitHub repositories.

The RIOT OS looks very promising to me, and I now plan to use it in my
PhD work.

Consequently, I would have some questions to ask, in order to ensure I
understood correctly what I saw by browsing the source code:

- There doesn't seem to be currently any support to the Sky/TelosB mote
platform (it is the kind of device I am now working on); however, most
of the components that these devices are built with are already
supported (MSP430F16 MCU, SHT11 sensor, CC2420 radio). Are there any
plans to add this platform to RIOT? If not, would you be interested if I
developed the necessary code, and contributed it to RIOT?

- One of the goals of my PhD thesis is to study and develop new MAC
protocols for the network stacks of IoT devices. From what I saw from
RIOT's current source, only one MAC protocol ("sixlowmac" in
RIOT/sys/net/sixlowpan) seems to be present. Are there other MAC
protocols in RIOT (that I would have missed)? Are there any plans to add
new ones? If not, would you be interested if I contributed other MAC
protocols to RIOT network stack?

Well, thanks in advance for your answers, and---I hope---see you very soon.
--

      Kévin Roussel
      Doctorant, projet LAR
      Kevin.Roussel at inria.fr