[riot-devel] Implementing non-blocking sockets and select

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Thu Jun 13 21:02:48 CEST 2013

Hi Martin, hi Benjamin,

> since I neet select() and setsockopt() for libcoap, too, those two should
> be available in a few days ;-)
could you tell us a bit more in detail about how you're going to implement
these features?

Actually I had some thoughts and discussions with Ludwig about this topic and
we concluded that it would make sense to extend the kernel IPC by some
features:
- allow for asynchronous message reception (so far only asynchronous message
  sending is possible)
- adding functions for sending and receiving with a timeout parameter

This should allow a nice select() implementation and will be probably handy
for a lot of other tasks.

I planned to implement these features in the next days.

panic("If this is a 64-bit machine, please try a 64-bit kernel.\n");
        linux-2.6.6/arch/parisc/kernel/inventory.c