[riot-devel] using the native-port for development

Ludwig Ortmann ludwig.ortmann at fu-berlin.de
Wed May 15 09:13:39 CEST 2013

Hi Martin,

this is known and partly necessary behavior.

ld-linux (or some other platforms equivalent) is definitely needed as
the port uses system calls instead of hardware (timers, character device
etc.).

libc is needed for, well, the c library .. things like printf.
Toolchains for other platforms contain c libraries as well, only they
are not dynamically linked.
I don't see a reason against dynamic linking per se for the native port.
It could turn out to be necessary to replace certain functions though,
so maybe a custom native toolchain will be in order at some point.

libpthread - I'm not sure if it's inevitable. In general the same
reasoning as above applies.

librt is on its way out.

By the way - I pushed some changes to my fork yesterday to resolve the
"context switching is unreliable" issue. I'll be merging this with
upstream and fix some remaining problems now.
If you run into "strange behavior" it could pay to use the fork
already.. I don't know how out of sync it is, yet ;-)

Cheers, Ludwig