[riot-devel] using the native-port for development

Ludwig Ortmann ludwig.ortmann at fu-berlin.de
Wed May 15 15:42:36 CEST 2013

Hi Martin,

On 05/15/2013 01:40 PM, Martin L. wrote:
> In fact we are about to port some c++11 libraries/programs from native linux to RIOT.
> We try to create an "abstraction wrapper" to enable them being runnable on RIOT
> without the need of heavy refectoring.
> In the current state the native RIOT environment enables to access/create native threads and mutexes,
> which happens in some cases and results in RIOT to crash (as expected).

Is this still the case with the current fork? I got rid of librt which
pulled in pthreads, so maybe it is already fixed. (The fork is in sync
with upstream now, so you should be able to check this without much
hassle..)

> I think a more bounded native RIOT environment would reveal and prevent such "hidden" dependencies/relations and
> could ease platform independant development and portability.

I see.

g++/gcc does have some options dealing with library inclusion/exclusion
(e.g. -nodefaultlibs).
As I have no experience with compiling c++ I don't know what c++11 needs
to work, what the other toolchains provide etc. I'd suggest you try and
figure out if these options can be used to limit RIOT to libc and
whatever set of libraries is required and available in the target
toolchains.

Cheers, Ludwig