[riot-devel] RPL test project does not work due to errors in 6LoWPAN

Heiner Perrey heiner.perrey at haw-hamburg.de
Fri Sep 20 12:59:06 CEST 2013

Hey all,

I'm intending to add a security feature to the RPL implementation in RIOT. For this we're (at HAW) are currently trying to get RPL in RIOT on the MSB-A2 boards to work. We are running into some errors at Sixlowpan. We are trying to fix these errors and wanted to ask whether these are known errors and if somebody is already working on that.

Just a brief description of the sixlowpan parts and errors we're looking at (mainly in file lowpan.c):

1) it seems as if the etx beaconings (or all frames) are buffered in the lowpan FIFO but are not processed, so that the nodes run out of memory after while. And in case of RPL, the DIOs are not delivered to RPL process.
2) when a node receives a frame it gets the error "context not found" in function lowpan_iphc_decoding, so something goes wrong here

This is not a thorough description because we're still a little in the dark, but we're working on that and if somebody has quick hint, we'd be thankful!

Thanks and regards,
Heiner