[riot-devel] Propose of some Hardware Platform for RIOT

Mic Musk mic.musk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 18:02:04 CET 2014

Hi All,

For the convenience of getting started with RIOT and better developing with it, I propose that RIOT community should have one or more *officially* tested & supported hardware platform(s). As RIOT is relatively new, there is no reason why we shouldn't choose new hardware platforms or chips to better benefit the community.

For the choice of MCU, I highly recommend EnergyMicro's EFM32 series which features very low-power modes that can greatly utilize RIOT's tickless kernel. I must claim that I have no connection with EnergyMicro or Silabs. It's simply the idea of picking up the most appropriate and state-of-the-art chip for RIOT.

For the RF part, I guess there are roughly two common categories: 2.4 GHz and Sub-1 GHz. There are some nice new chips too.

I'd like to hear you guys' opinions about this idea.

Moreover, it's possible for me to specifically design a very nice board/mote for RIOT community if it's desired.

Regards,
--
Mic