[riot-devel] Propose of some Hardware Platform for RIOT

Emmanuel Baccelli Emmanuel.Baccelli at inria.fr
Tue Feb 11 11:52:47 CET 2014

Hi Mic,

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Mic Musk <mic.musk at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] For the choice of MCU, I highly recommend EnergyMicro's EFM32 series
> which features very low-power modes that can greatly utilize RIOT's
> tickless kernel. I must claim that I have no connection with EnergyMicro or
> Silabs. It's simply the idea of picking up the most appropriate and
> state-of-the-art chip for RIOT.
>
> For the RF part, I guess there are roughly two common categories: 2.4 GHz
> and Sub-1 GHz. There are some nice new chips too.
>
> I'd like to hear you guys' opinions about this idea.

EFM32 sounds like a great idea to me. Concerning the radio, I'm thinking
anything that can be IEEE 802.15.4 compliant is preferable. Sub-GHz radio
range has the advantage that it might be less "polluted" in some scenarios,
but the downside is that it is less used/deployed so far, and uses slightly
different bands in different regions of the world, which may lead to
interoperability issues.

On the other hand, it is important that we soon can bridge between the
"low-end" of the IoT (I mean sensors, motes, etc.) with the "high-end" part
of the IoT (I mean common hand-held devices), and for that, Bluetooth is
probably a good choice. So my personal dream right now is in fact dual:

- a version of the hardware with a single radio interface that is IEEE
802.15.4 compliant
- a version of the hardware with two radio interfaces: one that is IEEE
802.15.4 compliant and a Bluetooth interface (BLE capability would be good)

But we need to be careful that the radio chips do not come with built-in,
unmodifiable/non-configurable network stacks...

> Moreover, it's possible for me to specifically design a very nice
> board/mote for RIOT community if it's desired.

This sounds good too. What help/input would you need from the RIOT
community to start on this?

Regards,

Emmanuel