[riot-devel] ns3 question about global variable in RIOT

Emmanuel Baccelli Emmanuel.Baccelli at inria.fr
Fri Feb 28 10:56:16 CET 2014

Hi Daniel,

Le 28 févr. 2014 09:59, "Daniel Camara" <danielcamara at gmail.com> a écrit :

[...]
>> Of course, the results will be spoilt. But I don't know ns3 - if it's
>> no big deal if it crashes that's fine with me as well. If it can cause
>> damage (e.g. by corrupting files one might still want to have used
>> afterwards) that might be an argument for separate processes.
>>
>   Ok Ludwig, there are two mind states that need to be clear and distinct
one from the other. There is "yours", as RIOT developer that want to test
your development and verify the behavior of RIOT over a more complex
network setup. That is valid and, I guess, it is the why you, as community,
would be interested in the adaptation. The second state of mind is the guy
who wants to use this framework as a tool to test his own algorithms and
theories. Some one that will use RIOT+ns-3 as as a medium to see other
things, I am not interested in the tool itself it should be transparent to
me. I mean, if the tool does not work correctly it is like you said to
me... "Look I have this hammer here and you can use..... but it has some
wholes on it!!!  So it will not work every time!".  I may use your hammer,
if I have NO other tool... but just until I find a rock that is nearby :).

We're on the same wavelength here, and I'm not sure it is worth discussing
too much this question.

While the core of RIOT is extremely stable, it's just that one cannot
expect a whole OS + the bleeding edge of full network stacks under
development to be as stable as a 1k lines of code implementing a simple
network protocol on top of ns-3.

For instance anybody testing Contiki+ some new networked application on
ns-3 has realistically exactly the same concerns, which is inherent to this
type of approach. If it made sense to port Contiki to ns-3 then it makes
sense to port RIOT to ns-3. That's a simpler way to see it ;)

So let's just do it and focus on the "how". Other questions are irrelevant
in this context,  in my opinion.

Does it make sense?

Cheers,

Emmanuel