[riot-devel] Naming of source files

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Mon Jan 13 11:43:28 CET 2014

Hi,

On 01/13/14 11:24, Hauke Petersen wrote:
>> PRJDIR/xy/aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/xy/aa/abc.o
>
> The drawback I see with keeping the original folder structure in the
> BINDIR is, that the folder names are getting even longer. Could this
> lead to problems on host platforms (-->WIN)?
Isn't the full pathname incuding filename limited (vs. pathname without
filename)?

Linux has another problem with it's makefiles. They put hundreds of
filenames incl. path in the command line of some tools needed for
compilation. Depending on base path length, that brakes. There are
patches that use xargs to solve the problem but make compilation slower,
so they are not in mainline.

I say, let future RIOT developers deal with that problem. Quote me.

Kaspar