[riot-devel] Comments from IRC

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 13 10:33:28 CEST 2014

Hi,

sad to hear...

On 11.10.2014 19:28, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
> 2014-10-11 15:45:28	corecode	my input is: stuff is not tested
I think we need to differentiate here, some platform code is indeed not
sufficiently tested (yet). Maybe we can include some information about
maturity of platforms in the Wiki?
> 2014-10-11 15:45:43	corecode	people seem to create APIs without applications that actually need them
I guess this is a hen-and-egg problem, you don't get people to use stuff
if the APIs they need are missing. But I also think, that most of our
interfaces are designed quite well and should fit most applications. But
this needs of course to be discussed continuously to be improved!
> 2014-10-11 15:55:06	@N8Fear_	you said you also found some bugs: would you care to share what exactly?
> 2014-10-11 15:58:44	corecode	use of dINT/eINT or disableIRQ/enableIRQ instead of restoreIRQ
This is a difficult topic, there are some situations where you
explicitly have to use 'enableIRQ' instead of 'restoreIRQ'. I think
there are also open PRs to this issue already.
> 2014-10-11 15:59:34	corecode	the nrf timer code does not seem to be right/untested
true. It's very young code so I wouldn't be surprised. There is one
known bug with the vtimer.
> 2014-10-11 16:00:04	corecode	why do boards define soc peripherals, e.g. timers
because they have an (passive) influence on the pin layout. The timers
you choose for example for hwtimer and for PWM are coupled, and this has
an impact of the pins you use for PWM. So the rationale is to make
everything about peripherals configurable in a central point for each board.
> 2014-10-11 16:00:57	corecode	vtimer assumes 4096 seconds is a valid hwtimer value
no idea, anyone?
> 2014-10-11 16:02:19	corecode	why does some code use both hwtimer and vtimer?
some of the usages are for legacy reasons. Most of the usages are
however following a straight forward paradim: 'user space' application
code should use the vtimer, device drivers can use the hwtimer if they
have strict real-time requirements.
> 2014-10-11 16:02:32	corecode	what's the deal with if (!inISR()){ dINT();}
legacy code. There is an open task to finally remove these in favor of
enableIRQ and disableIRQ.
> 2014-10-11 16:02:39	corecode	etc.etc.
> 2014-10-11 16:02:52	corecode	and that's just after one day of looking at the source
> 2014-10-11 16:03:02	corecode	why is there immense copy+pasteness happening?
> 2014-10-11 16:03:17	corecode	hwtimer arch is copied all over the place
For a good reason. There are some boards, that use more then one
peripheral timer for the hwtimer. By having a per-CPU hwtimer_arch
implementation each CPU is completely independent and can handle this as
needed. Of course there is some code-duplication, but I think its a
small price to pay for gaining the decoupling of CPU implementations.
> 2014-10-11 16:03:59	corecode	it mostly looks like an effort to "support" many platforms
correct. This is one of the more challenging aspects of RIOT.

I hope I could clarify some points and I look forward to a good discussion!

Cheers,
Hauke