[riot-devel] Question about hwtimer_now implementation..

Michael Burg mike at burg.me
Wed Oct 15 02:27:27 CEST 2014

Hello folks,

Thanks for the replies. My problem was the timer code wasn't quite
making sense to me in terms of using a counting up value, and the  low
overflow threshold.

The FRDM-KL46Z is very similar to the Kinetis boards. The PIT module has
two 32-bit channels each running at 24mhz. The channels can be chained
together.

The solution I came up with is to use one channel for the time now
value, and the other channel to provide the RIOT timer. Also, I modified
vtimer, hwtimer, and board timer code to use 64-bit unsigned integers
for the tick values - now a overflow doesn't happen until some 59,000+
years from boot, not in a few seconds as was previously happening.

I highly suggest going with a different implementation for the higher
level timers to use a larger integer, or split it into seconds &
microseconds (like timex_t). A 32-bit value is just way too low since a
1-mhz timer will overflow in just over a hour, or in a few seconds for
boards like the KL46Z or Kinetis which have a higher clock rate.

The particular project I want to use this on has the requirement of both
using short timers, in microseconds & seconds, and long timers that have
durations in hours.

Thanks again for the help,

-- Michael