[riot-devel] Periodical (virtual) meetings

Thomas Eichinger thomas.eichinger at fu-berlin.de
Sat Oct 18 12:05:11 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I did look for some additional alternatives and stumbled upon these WebRTC
projects.

1. meetecho http://www.meetecho.com <http://www.meetecho.com/>
I think you can set up some pretty professional environment with this but
the entry level seems pretty high to set up the central instance.

2. palava.tv https://palava.tv/ <https://palava.tv/>
Could be used for a first iteration out of the box. Since it is open source it
might make sense to host an own instance if it works.

3. apear.in https://appear.in/ <https://appear.in/>
Offers a low entry level as palava.tv but is not open source and claims
to be restricted to 8 persons due to bandwidth constraints. Couldn’t test
if you switch off video more people could join.

… I most probably  missed one service or another, these popped up in
big numbers lately.

I think these offer an interesting approach. You don’t need any extra software
(only a decently modern browser) and are built on open standards.

Best, Thomas