[riot-devel] vtimer_usleep_until or similar

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 21 17:13:39 CEST 2014

Hi Daniel,

doing something periodical is unfortunately so far RIOT is not super
friendly with. This is due to the fact that RIOT is designed around a
tickless-scheduling design, which means we don't have means to find out
in which point of time a thread started to run and we don't have a
discrete system time in ticks as in FreeRTOS. This means, that we can
not (easily) just substract some offset ticks from a sleep value.

For the long-term we are planning to remodel our timer architecture, and
it is planned to introduce something as `timer_msg_periodic(..)` to send
periodic messages from the timer to a task.

For now I would suggest the following solution to your problem (although
it introduces a little overhead):

Let your function that you need to run periodically run in it's own
thread, something like this:

void *periodic_function_thread(void *arg)
{
     (void)arg;
     msg_t msg;

     while (1) {
         msg_receive(&msg);     /* just using the message as trigger here */

         // do something, what ever it is
         something_periodical();
     }
}

And secondly create a timer thread that sends regular messages:

void *timer_thread(void *arg)
{
     (void)arg;
     msg_t msg;

     msg.type = TIMEOUT;

     while (1) {
         msg_send(&msg, periodic_task_pid, 0);
         vtimer_usleep(SLEEP_TIME_IN_US - OFFSET);
     }
}

It is very important, that the timer_thread has the higher priority. I
don't know about your specific applications and the requirements you
have on the precision of the timing. To improve this, you can use the
OFFSET to compensate for the scheduling delay of the timer thread - best
measure this our for your concrete platform.

Hope this helps, let me know if there are any questions!

Cheers,
Hauke