[riot-devel] CC2538 development

Adam Hunt voxadam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 23:41:27 CEST 2014

​I see that recently there's been work being done on getting RIOT up to
speed on TI's CC2538. I see that Hauke was working on a port to the chip in
his repository[1
<https://github.com/haukepetersen/RIOT/tree/add_board_openmote/cpu/cc2538>]
back a few months ago as well as a board support[2
<https://github.com/haukepetersen/RIOT/tree/add_board_openmote/boards/openmote>]
for the OpenMote[3 <http://www.openmote.com/openmote-cc2538/>]. There have
also been some merges from a masked developer that goes by the name
HexLuthor (possibly Ian Martin previously of Redwire and now on the team at
Loci Controls) had support for the CC2538DK pulled[4
<https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/1697>] into the master RIOT
repository just last week.

I have a dozen CC2538 chips in a drawer and half a board sketched out that
I desperately need to finish. Maybe this work will finally be the kick in
the ass I need to finish my design and get these spin the first set of
boards.

In any case, it looks like there's starting to be more interest in the
little chip that I've grown quite fond of. I've glanced at the tree and
things look like they're shaping up quite fast. One thing that has me a
tiny bit worried was Hauke mentioning[5
<https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues/1587#issuecomment-52756564>] that
TI, for reasons passing understanding, has thus far chosen not to share the
CMSIS headers for their CC253x series of micros. How big of an issue is
this going to be? It it simply an inconvenience? Are TI's "crappy" (Hauke's
word, not mine) libraries going to be enough to get all the functionality
(e.g. power states, radio control, etc...) and peripherals on this chip
working well enough for production use? Would it be worth the effort to
contact TI about these headers, maybe releasing them simply slipped their
mind (I know it's a long shot). I'd bang on their door, or simply email
them, and ask but such a request would probably carry far more weight if it
were to come from a core member of the RIOT team.

Hauke, do you have some OpenMotes that you're working with? Did you spin
them yourself? What's the functionally like with RIOT? Had I known about
the project before I started designing my boards I may have opted to go
with their hardware instead, I suppose there's nothing stopping me from
still doing that.

I'm quite ecstatic that work on this chip has begun in what looks like a
serious way. I'm going to do my best to put aside as much of my other work
as possible, sleep only when my head hits the keyboard, and get my boards
finalized and a prototype set run so I can help out.

Thanks to everybody for all the excellent work.

Adam Hunt