[riot-devel] CC2538 development

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 22 12:48:02 CEST 2014

Hi Adam,

On 21.10.2014 23:41, Adam Hunt wrote:
> ​I see that recently there's been work being done on getting RIOT up
> to speed on TI's CC2538. I see that Hauke was working on a port to the
> chip in his repository[1
> <https://github.com/haukepetersen/RIOT/tree/add_board_openmote/cpu/cc2538>]
> back a few months ago as well as a board support[2
> <https://github.com/haukepetersen/RIOT/tree/add_board_openmote/boards/openmote>]
> for the OpenMote[3 <http://www.openmote.com/openmote-cc2538/>]. There
> have also been some merges from a masked developer that goes by the
> name HexLuthor (possibly Ian Martin previously of Redwire and now on
> the team at Loci Controls) had support for the CC2538DK pulled[4
> <https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/1697>] into the master RIOT
> repository just last week.
Working on the port is a little much on my part, all I did was creating
the right file/folder structure and putting the linker and startup files
in place... The actual work was done by HexLuthor et al (Good job bye
the way!).

> I have a dozen CC2538 chips in a drawer and half a board sketched out
> that I desperately need to finish. Maybe this work will finally be the
> kick in the ass I need to finish my design and get these spin the
> first set of boards.
>
> In any case, it looks like there's starting to be more interest in the
> little chip that I've grown quite fond of. I've glanced at the tree
> and things look like they're shaping up quite fast. One thing that has
> me a tiny bit worried was Hauke mentioning[5
> <https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues/1587#issuecomment-52756564>]
> that TI, for reasons passing understanding, has thus far chosen not to
> share the CMSIS headers for their CC253x series of micros. How big of
> an issue is this going to be? It it simply an inconvenience? Are TI's
> "crappy" (Hauke's word, not mine) libraries going to be enough to get
> all the functionality (e.g. power states, radio control, etc...) and
> peripherals on this chip working well enough for production use? Would
> it be worth the effort to contact TI about these headers, maybe
> releasing them simply slipped their mind (I know it's a long shot).
> I'd bang on their door, or simply email them, and ask but such a
> request would probably carry far more weight if it were to come from a
> core member of the RIOT team.
As I said, I havn't really programmed the CC253x so far, so I can't tell
how the supplied headers by TI do work in practice. To get the CC253x's
functionality in place, I think the supplied headers should be
sufficient. For RIOT it is however important to code the low-level stuff
in a portable/configurable manner, so we con use the CPU code for as
many boards as possible. This is possible with CMSIS-style headers in a
quite efficient fashion - For TI's headers I doubt it is possible in a
similar, elegant way, so thats where the 'crappy' came from. But as I
said, I havn't personally used these headers, so I would be glad if
somebody could prove me wrong!

> Hauke, do you have some OpenMotes that you're working with? Did you
> spin them yourself? What's the functionally like with RIOT? Had I
> known about the project before I started designing my boards I may
> have opted to go with their hardware instead, I suppose there's
> nothing stopping me from still doing that.
We got the Motes to play with from the OpenMote team at the last IETF in
Toronto... I am not quite up-to-date with the current state of the port,
but there will be some more effort put in by next month. So from my
opinion I could make sense that you also use these instead of your own
design (if that fits with your requirements), so we could join efforts
on the OpenMotes!

> I'm quite ecstatic that work on this chip has begun in what looks like
> a serious way. I'm going to do my best to put aside as much of my
> other work as possible, sleep only when my head hits the keyboard, and
> get my boards finalized and a prototype set run so I can help out.
Don't forget to eat :-)

Best,
Hauke