[riot-devel] RIOT CBOR on cbor.io

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Sep 1 09:31:41 CEST 2014

On Sunday 31 August 2014 22:42:24 Christian Mehlis wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I just came across cbor.io and its not referencing to any C
> implementation, which is strange for a serialization format for embedded
> devices...
>
> Can we split RIOTs CBOR code in its own repo and invite the cbor.io guys
> to link to us?

Note: Technically our CBOR implementation should be pretty easy to use
standalone, it has almost no dependencies to RIOT (despite the 'net_help.h'
include, which could be easily replaced by arpa/inet.h).

And yes: I'd love to contact the cbor.io guys regarding our CBOR
implementation and link to us, but unfortunately that doesn't make a lot of
sense when it stays inside the RIOT code base. People cannot make use of it
easily.

> IMHO: Msgpack [1] on the other hand has a lot more implementations, so
> we should focus on promotion. Compare this repo [2].
>
> Best
> Christian
>
> [1] http://msgpack.org/
> [2] https://github.com/camgunz/cmp