[riot-devel] Fix MSP430 ports of RIOT! [Was: *Stable* platforms for RIOT-OS]

ROUSSEL Kévin Kevin.Roussel at inria.fr
Mon Sep 1 11:48:35 CEST 2014

Hello David,

The G2553 and G2452 devices are not technically much different from the
F1611 and F2617 we currently support.

The main problem with the chips you mention is the memory space; taken
from TI manuals:
* G2553 : 16 Kb Flash ROM, 512 bytes RAM
* G2452 :  8 Kb Flash ROM, 256 bytes RAM

Having less than 1 Kb of RAM is clearly a show-stopper here: since RIOT
is a true multitasking OS, you need to have a certain amount of RAM
(circa 200 bytes) per task (thread), plus half a kilobyte for the
interrupt-management system.

As it is said on RIOT presentation page (http://www.riot-os.org/), you
need a device with at least 2 Kb of RAM if you really want to use RIOT
OS. As a matter of fact, this is true with every OS out there (even
TinyOS needs around 1 Kb RAM to be used correctly).

As comparison, the MSP430 device we currently support have these
characteristics:
* F1611: 48 Kb Flash ROM, 10 Kb RAM
* F1612: 55 Kb Flash ROM, 5 Kb RAM
* F2617: 92 Kb Flash ROM, 8 Kb RAM
* F6137: 32 Kb Flash ROM, 4 Kb RAM
The use of a complete network stack (to support IoT, which is the main
field of application of RIOT) makes the use of these high-end devices
necessary.
If you forget the network stack, and only use the core, having at least
2 Kb is still an absolute necessity (4 Kb RAM being strongly recommended).

I'm afraid the introductory/low-end devices you mention are definitely
not powerful enough for RIOT (nor another OS)...

Maybe could you get some (used) Sky/TelosB devices -- these are legacy,
cheap devices -- if you want to try RIOT?

Sorry, and best regards,