[riot-devel] Systick on the STM32s

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 1 13:47:06 CEST 2014

Hi Abhinav,

I put a copy of this mail to the devel-mailing list, so others can use
this information as well. Hope thats ok?!

We do not use the Systick-timer for two simple reasons at the moment:
1. RIOT uses a tick-less scheduling paradigm, which means that we do not
have a regular system tick that wakes up the scheduler to see if a new
task needs to be scheduled. But this is what the Systick-timer is
originally designed for... You can refer to [1] for more information on
this.
2. RIOTs hwtimer needs best to be able to set more than 1 timeout in
parallel, so the peripheral timers with more multiple capture/compare
channels provide a better base for efficient implementation than the
Systick-timer...

But you are certainly ok with using the Systick timer for your specific
implementation, there is no reason not to use it...

Best,
Hauke