[riot-devel] Pull Request #1631: rename msg_* to blip_*

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Wed Sep 10 20:11:58 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

my PR #1631 changes all msg_* function and structure names to blip_*.

This is a prerequisite to a new messaging API that will be a lot more
flexible.

As I'd like to keep the old functions for compatibility and functional
reasons, I'm just renaming them for now.

The new API will allow messages bigger than "type"+"content", but will
also be content agnostic (no type field).

The old (now blip_*) api will stay the same. I'm thinking to also use
them for the riot equivalent of "signals", which will be short messages
with defined content, like "exit the thread if you receive this".

Do you have any suggestions for a different name than "blip"?

Kaspar