[riot-devel] *Stable* platforms for RIOT-OS] - Arduino Due

Martine Lenders authmillenon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 23:28:09 CEST 2014

Hi,
there was actually some discussion in the last student software project
here at Freie Universität Berlin (but sadly no implementation yet, since
RIOT lacks to date some general interface to access file-like objects). The
results were in general: FAT (as Adam previously stated in part) a) is
ridden from ballasts of past specification, b) is not suitable for for
flash, and c) weird regarding licensing (and propably incompatible to
RIOT), since MS is somehow still involved. So they looked at NuttX and CFS
(among others), too and found CFS as the most suitable and it is to assume,
that since Contiki is very modular as well, that it is easily portable
(when we have some genaral file interface, which hopefully will be easier
to realize when Kaspar's IPC change is finally there).

Cheers,
Martine

PS: There are already fd-like PIDs in RIOT [1], but since the current
situation is that 1 communication end-point (read this as fd, socket,
whatever) equals 1 thread (which will change in the future), this is just
not feasible.

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/sys/include/posix_io.h