[riot-devel] New Messaging API Requirements discussion

David Lyon david.lyon at clixx.io
Thu Sep 11 14:44:31 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-11 23:33, Kaspar Schleiser wrote:

>> What does "a lot more flexible" entail?
> 1. Messages of any size. Needed for intra node messaging.
> 2. Multiple messaging endpoints per thread.

Hope people don't mind me breaking this out to a seperate thread.

I've been working in this area and one point that was made previously
was about using JSON data.

One thing I'd like to see taken forward would be JSON encoding/decoding
built into the Network transport. I know this is non-traditional, but it
would help application level programmers a lot.

Here's an example (C++), possibly with some pseudo-code:

  channel.create("server");
  channel.out.packet.addJSON("Temp",16);
  channel.out.send();

For receiving:

  if (client.in.havepacket())
  {
      t = client.in.packet.JSONasInt("Temp");
      printf("Temp : %d\n", t);
  }

There's a few blank bits of code that aren't to be included.

My point, is that for IoT, what the average user is going to be looking
for is ease-of-use. And 1970's C, well, I've said before it's not as
user friendly as more modern frameworks.

Assembling and disassembling packets isn't really something that users
should be doing in these modern times. It's just too hard.

Just a few idea's..

David