[riot-devel] New Messaging API Requirements discussion

David Lyon david.lyon at clixx.io
Thu Sep 11 15:07:26 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-11 23:56, Kaspar Schleiser wrote:

> But as underlying transport RIOT needs a minimized-to-the-minimum,
> flexible, realtime-capable IPC mechanism that allows us to implement
> something like the JSON idea some levels higher up.

Hi Kaspar,

Sure.

But the more that I use the AVR-Attiny85 in my projects, the more I
think that varying levels of JSON support may be achievable. For
example, limit JSON capabilities to the essentials on smaller processors
(ie no sets, arrays or dictionaries).

What is interesting about JSON, is that it can be
transmitted/passed/handled in single packets.

So my previous example code, really only adds
field-assembly/dissassembly as something over the top of basic packet
sending architecture.

Also, I'd just like to add the following. That there's many network
interfaces that use uarts (David warns of "Return to the UART" :-) and
here is just one example based on new wifi-modules:
https://www.zybuluo.com/kfihihc/note/31135

Regards

David