[riot-devel] WDT questions

Joakim Gebart joakim.gebart at eistec.se
Wed Apr 29 17:08:14 CEST 2015

An idea:
Create a multi-channel software watchdog that in turn pokes the hardware
watchdog when all parameters are met.
We could configure different timeouts for different channels and each
critical process can have its own channel(s) which they update
independently.

Some risks of this approach is that it will be possible for software errors
to make the software watchdog misbehave and poke the hardware watchdog and
keep the system running when it should be reset.

Best regards,
Joakim
Thanks for your explanations. I understand why it is counter productive.
But how RIOT will make sure that the board is not stuck in a deadlock? This
is mandatory for industrial context.

> It has to do with the difficulty of providing a reliable way of poking the
> watchdog in an event driven, tickless, system such as RIOT. Maybe it is
> time to start discussing a watchdog api?
> In order to get any traction within industry applications I believe it
> will be necessary to at least provide an api for applications to use the
> watchdog.
>
> Best regards,
> Joakim Gebart
> Eistec AB
> www.eistec.se
> On Apr 29, 2015 2:43 PM, "Baptiste Clenet" <bapclenet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got two questions concerning WDT:
>>  - Why do we disable it on the samr21 at launch time?
>>  - Why doesn't RIOT provide a wdt.h in drivers/include/periph?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>>
>> *Clenet Baptiste*

*Clenet Baptiste*