[riot-devel] RIOT-OS and multiple executables

Zac Harvey zharvey at pobox.com
Tue Aug 11 22:23:59 CEST 2015

I am brand new to embedded programming and am wondering if RIOT-OS has
the capabilities that my small project requires.

I have 3 executables, *fizz*, *buzz* and *foo*. They all do separate -
but very important - things. My understanding with real-time OSes is
that you typically:

1. Take your app’s source code and somehow merge/splice it with the
RTOSes source code; then
2. You cross-compile this conglomerated source code (again your app +
RTOS source) into a binary that is compatible with the ultimate
platform/architecture you will run it on; then
3. You flash the binary to the chip using something like UART or SPI, etc.

My first question is: is this understanding correct? If not, can you
please help me make a quick course correction?

Then, as a similarly-related followup, I’m wondering if RIOT-OS supports
the concept of multiple executables running when the chip/OS start up?
In other words, is it possible for RIOT-OS to be cross-compiled with,
and then at runtime execute, all 3 executables (fizz, buzz and foo)?

Thanks!
Zac