[riot-devel] HotSpot JVM on RIOT-OS?

Zac Harvey zharvey at pobox.com
Thu Aug 13 03:41:07 CEST 2015

Kaspar & Adam,

Thanks for the ideas (lejos and non-JVM langs).  I am already in touch
with the lejos admin.

All,

An earlier suggestion was to investigate SOCs like Raspberry Pi or
BeaglBoard.  At first I thought: OK this is exactly what I need! But now
that I'm really thinking about it, there's something that leaves me
feeling uneasy here.

So the main argument against the ARM SAM3X8E for a JVM is that it only
has 512KB ROM and 96KB RAM.  But after researching the RaspberryPi, the
later models are using an ARM Cortex-A7 CPU that, according to Wikipedia
it has 1MB RAM. So this doesn't make sense: why is RaspberryPi touted as
a JVM-capable ARM-based SOC, whereas SAM3X8E is totally incapable of
such a feat (nothing in the modern Java landscape will run on 1MB).

Clearly I'm missing something here, but: what is the difference between
RapsberryPi's ARM processor vs SAM3X8E that makes it capable of running
a Java app?!?

Thanks,
Zac