[riot-devel] RIOT examples

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Fri Aug 14 12:16:57 CEST 2015

Hey fellow RIOTers,

listening to incoming feedback about RIOT, it seems that while we get a
lot of praise for our well-documented API, it seems that people are
missing more high-level concept documentation and more to-the-point
examples on how to do things in RIOT.

Looking at our example code, apart from everything in "tests/" which are
mostly applications used by developers to test certain aspects of the
codes, we only have rather high-level example applications.

I propose to extend these with very simple, condensed example
"applications", where each example just shows how to do a simple task,
like "set up a periodic timer".

Initially I thought about creating a directory structure that
corresponds to either the file system hierarchy or the doxygen group
hierarchy, as in:

"examples/sys/xtimer/xtimer_periodic"

or

"examples/sys/timers/timer_periodic"

But maybe we can even live with one examples directory holding all
examples, as that makes finding them very easy.

Looking at our doxygen, I'd propose to put examples into an "examples"
subgroup for each group that actually has examples.

Do you think more condensed examples would be useful?

Do you have an opinion on how to structure them?

Kaspar