[riot-devel] Save data in ROM

Baptiste Clenet bapclenet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:39:45 CEST 2015

Sounds great Hauke! I like the multiplexing, it will allow all kind of
storage to be implemented and to separate device driver and the "user
space" (API).
This could be used by OTAU as well!

By "config module for the msba2 and msb-430", did you mean [1]?

Frank, flashrom.h is for me one part of the global architecture, this is
for low level on-chip flash driver. Other kind of storage should be taken
into account as Hauke mentionned.

For my purpose, I would only need to create the driver flashrom.c for the
SAMR21. Hauke, do you think that is possible with the SAMD21?
By the way, flashrom.h should provide a flashrom_read() function or I don't
see the utility.

Baptiste

[1]
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/boards/msb-430-common/board_config.c

> Hello,
>
> first we need an interface to read and write data to flash. An
> specification can be found in RIOT/drivers/include/flashrom.h or another
> specification in my pull request https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/2239
>
> At the moment i'm on the way to port http://bitlash.net/ to RIOT. For
> full functionality i need an interface to flash or access to an file
> system.
>
> My idea was to build an configuration store which is compatible with
> various flash types. In MCU supported by RIOT there are build in Flash
> with Error Correction or without error correction. There are many
> different page sizes. There are Platforms with the possibility to
> overwrite single bits without erasing pages (e.g. NRF51) and i think
> there are platforms with error correction where i can only write an page
> once. This is also an memory alignment problem. In my PR i have written
> code to allow unaligned access but i don't know if this is portable to
> any platform.
>
> Another problem is how often an page can erased. On many platforms
> 10.000 erase cycles are possible. This is not enough for counters in
> flash. My idea was to create an object store starting at top of flash
> memory. Every write allocates a new space until there are no free pages
> available. When no page is available the flash memory needs cleaning.
>
> If possible counter objects are placed in a whole page and changed at
> bitlevel. So its possible to count 8,000,000 times per 1k page with
> 10.000 erase cycles.
>
> At the moment i have no time to work on this topic.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

Baptiste