[riot-devel] Testing RIOT

Hiesgen, Raphael Raphael.Hiesgen at haw-hamburg.de
Tue Jun 16 16:54:02 CEST 2015

Hello,

I have followed the recent advancements on debugging the network stack and wanted to suggest some additional testing tools. GCC and Clang both offer the address-, thread- and leak-sanitizer [1]. Have you considered including those in the uint tests? They modify the resulting executable and provide runtime checks to find several bugs.

The downside is that the tests run slower and not all of them are available for arm architectures. I just tried to add the flags to the `thread_basic` test and ran into loads of "undefined reference to `__asan_xxxx” errors when compiling for native. Since I am not familiar with the whole RIOT toolchain, are there any modifications that may prevent linking to the standard libs?

Before I invest more time in this: have you considered using these tools before? Is there interest in having this for the unit test (on native)?

Regards
Raphael

[1] https://code.google.com/p/address-sanitizer/wiki/AddressSanitizer