[riot-devel] Connectivity between new NG stack and loopback

Cenk G√ľndogan cenk.guendogan at fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 24 17:01:48 CEST 2015

Hello Alexandru,

I am not certain that this method is bullet-proof, but you can try the
following:

* Create a tun/tap interface:
 > sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tap0
[FYI: I did not test this method with the tapsetup script]

* Enable the interface:
 > sudo ip link set dev tap0 up

* start ng-nativenet
 > make term PORT=tap0
[FYI: Starting RIOT with tap0 will assign an ip address to tap0]

* In Linux: lookup the ipv6 address of tap0
 > ifconfig tap0

* Start a udp server on Linux
 > nc -ul <ip-address of tap0>%tap0 13377
[ It is necessary to use the suffix %tap0 in order to give a hint to
Linux that this is a tun/tap device]

* In RIOT: start a udp server and happily communicate with linux
 > udp server start 13377
 > udp send <ip-address of tap0> 13377 HELLO-RIOT

* In Linux: netcat will receive this message and you can reply by just
typing something in your shell

I hope this helps

cheers,
Cenk