[riot-devel] Connectivity between new NG stack and loopback

Cenk Gündogan cenk.guendogan at fu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 25 17:49:17 CEST 2015

Hello Lennart,

On 25.06.2015 16:14, Lennart Dührsen wrote:
> the method you suggested now works halfway for me, but I still can't
that's half the battle (:
> linux~ nc -u fe80::b400:b1ff:fe63:f33d%tap0 54545
Using nc without the -l flag will start a udp client and connect to the
riot server. You will however not be able to receive messages on Linux
without starting a udp server (-l flag). You need to also specify the
tap0's ipv6 address here > f33c < with the %tap0 suffix, instead of
riot's ipv6 address, in order to listen on the tap0 device.
> Additionally, what I don't really understand is how one device (tap0)
> can have two IPv6 addresses. In the default example for RIOT, where two
In general, it is completely valid for a device to have multiple ipv6
addresses. However, this is not the case in this situation. In Linux you
should only see >one< ipv6 address when you use ip/ifconfig on tap0 with
this method.

I am not really experienced enough to tell how ng_nativenet utilizes the
tun/tap interface in detail.. Maybe it's possible to use tap0 and tap1
and the additional bridge to establish a connection between riot and
linux.. But one tap interface seems to be sufficient for this purpose.
> Btw, using nc as you initially described did not produce any output on
> either side (nc -ul fe80:...:f33c%tap0 54545).
Could you try this again and re-check the ipv6 addresses you used? I
don't know why this shouldn't work..

Best,
Cenk