[riot-devel] Zynq/Cortex A9 port

Emmanuel Baccelli Emmanuel.Baccelli at inria.fr
Mon Jun 29 14:55:14 CEST 2015

Hi Simon,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Simon Vincent <simon.vincent at xsilon.com>
wrote:

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> On 29/06/15 08:59, Emmanuel Baccelli wrote:
>

>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> As far as i can tell no one has done such a port. The closest is an
>> unfinished port to the RiOT Board (which is also based on an A9) which you
>> can probably find in the open PRs still. But this port is in limbo and
>> unfinished as is, and in general we focus our efforts on boards that cannot
>> run Linux.
>>
>>  I can't see any PRs for the A9. Do you have any more info on this?

I could not find it either, but Oleg just dug it out (thanks Oleg):
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/1452

>> Can you tell us why you consider using RIOT on such hardware? We'd be
>> interested in knowing about that. Moreover, do keep us in the loop if you
>> plan to proceed with a port. Even though we focus on other hardware for
>> now, some of us might be able to provide useful insights/advice.
>>
>>  The reason is it is our current prototyping platform and we will
> eventually move to a microprocessor such as a ARM M3. We don't want to
> develop all our software on Linux and then have to rewrite it all when we
> move to a microprocessor.

OK. We would certainly be happy to see some people carry on work on
A9-based hardware with RIOT, and would support that as much we can.
On the other hand, would it not make more sense to start directly with some
M3 hardware?

Best,

Emmanuel