[riot-devel] [GSOC 2015] Project A2

Samarth Bansal samarthbansal42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 09:03:02 CET 2015

Hello!

I just got across Project A2 : Intelligently interacting light switches.
Sounds really interesting.

I have a few questions:

1. The most naive approach I can think about it is this - When a motion
detector sensor detects the presence of a person, the light turns on.

2. Now that we are adding intelligence - is it that basically we are trying
to determine the path that a person might take and then turn on lights
accordingly? Lets suppose that the particular person has an ID, and our
devices have historical data about that person as well as of other people.
So the path is determined by taking into context and giving apt weight to
both forms of data - to predict a path.

3. If that is the case, I have a concern. As for any learning problem, we
will be operating under probabilities. Given the nature of the problem in
hand, there maybe multiple paths possible with high probability(Right?).
For energy efficiency, we won't really like the lighting system to turn on
all the probable lights. That is the precise reasons for having sensors. So
how does the intelligent lighting system help?

The hardware part looks simple. I guess that any micro-controller with a
PIR motion sensor attachment and a bunch of LEDs should be good enough for
prototyping. Although I think we can simulate the environment by laying
down a graph of motion sensors and lights instead of setting up hardware.
Does this make sense?

Looking forward to the comments!

Thanks,
Samarth