[riot-devel] Introduction and Getting Started

Hiesgen, Raphael Raphael.Hiesgen at haw-hamburg.de
Thu Mar 12 16:17:13 CET 2015

Hello Shantanu,

> Could you provide me some more information or resources that would help get a deeper insight about  the project and get started.

the idea is to use the C++ Actor Framework for programming, which can be found on Github [1]. However, RIOT support is still in development at the moment, see the topic/caf [2] and topic/riot [1] branches. For now, you can use actors on the board, but the network communication is not implemented (yet).

We are using the stm32f4discovery boards for testing CAF and C++. The board does not have a transceiver. Maybe someone else can help with that. The r-idge [3] USB dongles enable 6lowpan on desktop hardware, raspberry pis and similar devices.

To begin with, I recommend to get the actors and their work flow running on desktop first before moving to embedded devices. This eases debugging and helps to get familiar with CAF.
Alternatively you can get a bit into RIOT and, for example, get some LEDs blinking.

Raphael

[1] https://github.com/actor-framework/actor-framework
[2] git at github.com:josephnoir/RIOT.git
[3] http://rosand-tech.com/products/r-idge/prod.html