[riot-devel] [GSoC 2015] Question about project idea

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 16 19:36:18 CET 2015

Hi Dimitrii,

welcome to RIOT! I think generally support for HTTP/2 is something that
could be very interesting to RIOT. Although I think that HTTP/2 is
probably only an option for the upper scale of devices in terms of
memory and processing power, there might be quite some use cases where
support might come in handy.

Implementing HTTP/2 as project during GSOC there might be one practical
problem though. We are at the moment heavily restructuring the RIOT
network stack. Although the first parts are almost ready, I can't quite
tell when we will actually have a stable TCP implementation again, which
could be a major risk to this project.

But I think it makes definitely sense to spend some more thoughts on
this. I would recommend that you share your first thoughts on a general
architecture as well as a rough time plan for the implementation with
the community, so we can evaluate the feasibility of the project.

So I think this would be a great project, we just need to be very
cautious if it is doable (especially as this depends on external
factors...).

Let us know where we can help!

Cheers,
Hauke