[riot-devel] [GSOC] Introduction

Francesco Ermini francescoermini8 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 19:07:00 CET 2015

Thanks for the Xbee driver,I'll wait the PR for testing!

The security aspect is about including in RIOT the possibility to
dynamically insert a set of encryption keys at run time through an external
channel (I have a collegue working on NFC driver on  RIOT).
Basically,the keys I want to exchange are those concering the 802.15.4
protocol,but we can use the same technique for RPL or CoAP.

>  Hi Francesco,
>
> welcome to RIOT first of all.
>
> Cool that you are working with the UDOO boards! BLE development with these
> boards would indeed be a little difficult, as I don't know any shields
> without fully integrated network stack, that would allow for access to the
> BLE link layer.
>
> Porting the Xbee device to RIOT is unfortunately already almost finished
> [1] - I am just sitting on the last fixes and will release a PR in the next
> couple of days...
>
> The security aspect however is not yet included. Taking this to a more
> general approach (valid for not only the xbee device) is however a very hot
> topic. Here I would indeed see a project for GSOC. Do you have already any
> further ideas what you would like to do in this direction? It would be
> nice, if you could roughly sketch our your ideas, so we can discuss them
> further.
>
> Cheers,
> Hauke
>
> [1] https://github.com/haukepetersen/RIOT/tree/add_driver_xbee
>

> On 12.03.2015 15:46, Francesco Ermini wrote:
>

>  Hi,
>
>  my name is Francesco Ermini, and I'm student in electronics  and
> telecommunication engineering at the University of Florence,Italy.
>
>  My current Ms.C. thesis is about IoT secure communications. Our testbed
> is made by some UDOO Quad boards, with Linux + RiOT as operating systems
> (the UDOO can host two OSes at once).
> I checked the GSOC ideas page, and I found the Bluetooth Low Energy driver
> one. Although interesting, using BTLE wouldn't rally match my current work.
> However, we also found that the XBee shield is not yet supported in RiOT
> (open bug / feature request). This would match a bit more my thesis work,
> and my (evil) tutor would be happier.
>
>  My question is: what about implementing the XBee driver (including the
> dynamic security keys setup) ?
>
>  Best regards,
>
>  Francesco

Francesco Ermini