[riot-devel] Project S2: RIOT as an RPython Module

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Thu Mar 19 11:54:50 CET 2015

Hi AAshish,

Thanks for your interest!

On 03/12/15 19:36, Regmi, Aashish wrote:
> I was wondering if you could provide more information about the project
> so that I can get a clear understanding about the project and about how
> to get started with project.
Well, some of us think that it would be nice to be able to write RIOT
applications in a language different than C.

RPython would be one way, as it allows compiling Python code to plain C,
which could be linked to RIOT.

Another way would be to port e.g., micropython[1], to RIOT as a package.

Any "print("Hello World!")" written in python but running on a RIOT node
would probably an awesome outcome of this project.

While this needs some understanding of programming languages in general,
it is more a project requiring knowledge about how to integrate and
adapt a python interpreter or runtime into the ressource-constrained
RIOT environment, with the involved challenges around memory management,
linking, ...

If you are still interested, the next step for you would be to prepare a
short application [1][2]. The main part of the application consists of
your proposed (high-level) project plan. Maybe have also a look at our
last dev-meeting minutes [3] for some more information.

Furthermore we would like to see some first involvement with RIOT by
contributing a (simple) pull request to RIOT. The purpose of this is to
get you an idea of how the community works and what RIOT development is
about. Have a look at our development procedures [4] and contributing
guidelines [5]. The easiest way to get involved is by looking at issues
marked as 'Newbie-Task-Candidate' and to fix one (or more) of them.

Let us know if you have more specific questions!

Cheers,
Kaspar