[riot-devel] [GSOC] Introduction

Francesco Ermini francescoermini8 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:29:55 CET 2015

The aim of the project is to avoid the use of hardcoded keys inside the
firmware and add more flexibility in keys management.
So we need an API that performs the following tasks:
1. Wait for an input that just says "hey, install a new key"
i.e  the NFC gateway detects an NFC device in his range or an UART device
has been plug.
2. Check the security parameters.
i.e a device identifier, a timeout for reading the payload,the protocol to
use...other parameters and finally the key
3. Create a database of all the informations received and guarantee that
nobody steels them!
In case of 802.15.4, since the encryption is done by the hardware of the
Xbee, the best solution consists of get rid           of the key right
after the key is set into the Xbee.
In case of RPL and CoAP the idea is to store the key in a secure storage or
a volatile area so that a device                       tampering could lead
to key deletion
4. Implement the functions that will set the security keys into the desired
protocol/device

 Finally at the end of the project we'll test the encrypted communications
of the nodes

I hope I was clear, best regards Francesco

--
Francesco Ermini
Via Abebe Bikila, 8 50012 (FI)