[riot-devel] Iotivity, AllJoyn, Thread, Ipso Alliance

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Sat Mar 21 15:21:12 CET 2015

Oleg Hahm wrote:
>  I (and I guess I'm speaking for most of us) want a
> (R)IOT device being able to be connected _directly_ to anything. Be it another
> RIOT powered device, a Contiki device, my home gateway, my smartphone, or any
> server in the Internet.

That's why it's called "Thing-to-thing research group"!

> Protocols for the IoT should not rely on the fact that
> there is something more powerful that translates their messages to the rest of
> the world.

There is nothing wrong with factoring in something more powerful for
setup, human interface etc.  But for doing their job, where
thing-to-thing communication is the appropriate mode for that job, we
should be able to do it.  It's the Internet way...

I'm also looking forward to the IoTivity and AllSeen talks today.
Too bad we couldn't find someone from Thread to talk.

Grüße, Carsten