[riot-devel] IEEE 802.15.4 addressing

Martine Lenders mlenders at inf.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 24 20:21:05 CET 2015

Hi,
now that we start to get in IEEE 802.15.4/6LoWPAN territory with
netdev/netapi [1-3] I wonder if it makes sense to not have 2
(16-bit/64-bit) but 3 addressing modes:

* 16-bit short address
* 32-bit (16-bit PAN ID + 16-bit short address) as originally introduced to
RIOT, but somehow ignored over since then in [4]
* 64-bit long address.

As far as I read [5], there is not really any use-case for PAN ID + long
address.

The API proposed in netdev/netapi need no change for this. It's rather a
question what the drivers and 6LoWPAN should accept and generate as
addressing formats for packets.

Tell me what you think.

Cheers,
Martine