[riot-devel] NSTF - Naming the stack

Ludwig Ortmann ludwig.ortmann at fu-berlin.de
Sat May 2 18:17:33 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Sat, May 02, 2015 at 05:12:55PM +0200, Oleg Hahm wrote:
> After thinking just for some minutes over a new name for the stack, I thought
> that "NG" (pronounced Angie? ;)) may be not a bad idea after all and would
> save us from quite some renaming... All we would have to do then is to extract
> the common functionality and move it generic IPv6 and co. files.
>
> What do you think?

Due to its known meaning "ng" is as bad a name as "new" or "next",
because it will loose this meaning in the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure if naming is necessary at all. I think public/shared
headers can be used without a problem, and non-default implementations
(I assume the current "ng" implementation will be the default)
can as well get a characterizing suffix like "_light" or "_tiny" if
and when they arrive.

Cheers, Ludwig